What else is there?
You will find many references to clients through an online basic search. Records less than 75 years will not appear as access is restricted. This will find the following types of records quicker than searching each hyperlink below.
- 1915-1994 General welfare case files (AA226)
- 1913-1971 Applications and associated correspondence for compassionate allowances (SWD70)
- Some record categories are not searchable by name online with a basic search.
Indexes and registers are valuable because:
- not all files have survived
- they can provide a summary history of events.
Unrestricted community welfare finding aids:
- 1897-1919 Indexed register of wards of state (AD243). The index provides the page number in the register. See ‘Description’ on the webpage for details provided.
- 1881-1892 Index to children boarded-out (SWD43)
- 1864-1879 Register of cases admitted to the New Norfolk Asylum on the authority of the Colonial Secretary (SWD36). See especially the separate brief guide, Royal Derwent Hospital 1827-2000.
- 1881-1896 Indexed minutes of meetings, Central Committee for Boarding-Out Destitute Children (SWD57)
- Boys Training School – Alphabetical admission register (AA682). See also HSD274/1/1, above.
- 1828-1860 Kings/Queens Orphans School (TA148) Some records are online.
- 1861-1879 Queens Asylum (TA149) Some records are online.
- 1872-1934 Charitable Grants Department (TA21)
- 1881-1896 Central Committee for Boarding-Out Destitute Children (TA147)
- 1884-1922 Boys Training School (TA470)
- 1896-1918 Department of Neglected Children (TA145)
- 1918-1936 Children of the State Department (TA146)
- 1934-1961 Social Services Department (TA144)
- 1961-1983 Department of Social Welfare (TA88)
- 1983-1989 Department for Community Welfare (TA1028)
- 1859-1992 Hobart Benevolent Society (NS1637)
- 1869- Launceston Benevolent Society (NG185)
- 1913-1954 Launceston Home for Invalids (TA1911)
- 1921-1984 Glenara Northern Tasmanian home for boys (NG2054)
- Works by Joyce Purtscher
- Poverty is not a crime: the development of social services in Tasmania 1803-1900 by Joan Brown
- Other library holdings about orphans in Tasmania
- The wider scene – library resources on welfare in Australia