The History Room provides researchers with secure access to the archival resources and published heritage of the state of Tasmania.
From Monday 31st October bookings are no longer required for the History Room, nor will we close for a lunch break.
Our hours of operation will be
- Monday to Friday: 9:30am to 5:00pm
- Saturday: 9:30am to 2:00pm
Use these links to:
- Order archival items in advance
- Order published reference items in advance. If you can’t get to the Reading Room in Hobart, ask your local library if they can get the item in for you.
- Ask us a research question
Please contact us if you would like help.
We can help you with:
- Library searching
- Archives searches
- Names Index searches for family history
- Finding and accessing your personal records
If your question requires research, use our research request form.
How to contact us:
- Call us on (03) 6165 5538 Monday – Friday 9:30 – 5:00pm (local time)
Hints on research and finding information
Check out our guides on:
Get copies from our collections.
We supply information or provide a search path as guided by the National and State Libraries Australasia (NSLA) principles and service guidelines.
Up to one hour of research on most enquiries. We may spend more time on enquiries which require researching materials unique to our library and archives.
We are not able to do:
- Lengthy or ongoing research.
- Research assistance to people overseas or interstate when that information is available to them locally.
- Searches for missing persons.
- Valuations, legal and medical advice.
For more in-depth research help, you may choose to hire a private researcher:
These lists are provided for your convenience – the researchers are not connected with us.