Skip to main content printable version (new tab)


  • The first lighthouse in Tasmania was erected on Iron Pot Island at the mouth of the Derwent River, in 1832.
  • In 1825 a special Pilotage and Harbour Dues Committee recommended the erection of a lighthouse on the “Pot” – the expense to be defrayed by a small tax on traders.
  • From 1824 to 1858 the Port Officer had responsibility for the lighthouses. See the records of the Colonial Secretary’s Office under the headings of Lighthouses, Port Officer and the names of the individual lights.
  • In 1858 the Hobart Marine Board was constituted by an Act of Parliament. The Act vested the control, management and maintenance of the lighthouses to the Board.
  • The Commonwealth Government took over responsibility for administration of lighthouses in 1915. The National Archives holds many records relating to lighthouses.

Was this helpful?