Schools and education
Find records of involvement in Tasmanian schools as students or employees.
What is online?
What else is there?
Records about teachers and other Department of Education staff
- Applications for registration of a teacher, 1987-1991 (CB23/6)
- Personal files of teachers, 1908-1986 (ED190). The website lists the teachers but not every file has survived. See the description field online for further information.
- Indexed register to teachers in general correspondence (ED9), 1905-1916 (ED28/1/2)
- Index to teachers in general correspondence (ED9), 1910-1916 (ED27)
- Registers of teachers’ work history while employed by the Department, 1855-1916 (ED44)
- Registers of salaries and allowances to teachers and others connected with the Department, 1895-1939 (ED45)
- Register of teachers appointed to subsidised schools, 1912-1916 (ED54)
- Registers of state and other schools with details of attendance, teachers and salaries, 1905-1956 (ED55)
- Registers of applications and examination results for probationary teacher- studentships, 1914-1947 (ED236)
- Registers of students’ work (Teachers’ record books), 1944-1977 (ED29/7)
- Reports and results of teachers examinations, 1929-1943 (CB23/5)
- Examination and associated papers with lists of results about the annual examination of teachers, 1872-1910 (ED70)
- Correspondence about teachers resignations, 1905-1924 (ED17)
- The Educational Record (Official Gazette of the Education Department) 1931-1967 (AC98). The January editions provide an annual list of teachers arranged by school (including classification and salary).
- Personal files of non-teaching staff, 1956-1965 (ED191)
- Index to non-teaching Staff, 1950-1970 (AD295)
General Correspondence Files
There are large gaps in some correspondence files.
Not all correspondence has survived but the indexes, registers and letter books (ED13) can provide a potted history.
Indexes – General correspondence
References to schools in correspondence
Registers of general correspondence
Records from or about schools
To locate a record from or about a particular school you can perform a basic search. For example, entering ‘Hagley Farm School’ produces not only records received from the School (‘Agency TA1456 Hagley Farm School’) but also records from other agencies such as Public Works Department plans, films and photographs. In this example the list is long. You can narrow the search by clicking the radio button, ‘Boolean Query’. Then you can search only for films by entering ‘Hagley Farm School and film’.
What can I find from other organisations?