The State Library of Tasmania and the Tasmanian Archives collect a wide range of contemporary and historical material that documents the story of Tasmania.
Our collections include:
- printed and electronic books
- newspapers and journals
- government records
- works of art
- maps and plans
- films and sound recordings.
The Tasmanian Archives preserves Tasmania’s documentary heritage, including the records of Tasmanian business and community organisations, individuals and families, as well as the Tasmanian government. The State Library collects Tasmanian publications in all formats, printed and electronic. We collect material for its:
- research value
- historic associations
- social and cultural significance.
Tasmanian publishers are required to give the State Library one copy of everything they publish.
We manage two significant donated collections.
Tasmanian Government records
We keep records that:
- are evidence of the authority, foundation and machinery of government and public sector bodies
- record significant government decisions and their impact
- provide evidence of legal status and entitlements of individuals and groups. Examples include birth, death and marriage registrations, land ownership and probate
- are a valuable cultural resource
- protect or help the well-being of the community
We provide access to government records in line with the Archives Act 1983 (Tas).
The Office of the State Archivist has detailed guidance and advice.
Clients can access archival and heritage collections:
- through our catalogue
- in Hobart, in the State Library of Tasmania and Tasmanian Archives Reading Room. To order reference items in advance, complete this request form.
- in the History Room, booked clients can order archival items in advance – search for and request them here.
- via our online enquiry service
- get copies from our collections
Launceston Library also holds a collection of manuscripts and photographs relating to northern Tasmania, and early printed books.
Related documents and further information
- Libraries Tasmania Collection Development Policy
- Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts Collection Development Policy
- Legal Deposit
- Donations and bequests
- Reference collections
- Takedown requests