The names of Tasmanian towns have changed over the years.
This guide will help take the guesswork out of finding their locations and origins.
Significant place name changes include:
- Port Dalrymple – now George Town, site of first settlement in Northern Tasmania at the mouth of the Tamar River
- Carnarvon – now and previous during the convict era Port Arthur
- Clarence Plains – now Rokeby
- Green Ponds – now Kempton
- Horton – now Burnie or Circular Head
- Macquarie Plains – now Gretna
- Morven – now Evandale
- Norfolk Plains – Longford
- Penghana – now Queenstown
- Victoria – now Huon District