What else is there?
- Records of the Caveat Board, set up to hear and settle boundary and title disputes, can assist with proof of early land transactions, and may note buildings on the land. We hold records from 1832 to 1858 in Commissioners for Claims to Grants (Land Grants) [Caveat Board] (TA471). We have a card index in the Hobart Reading Room to people appearing in SC285 Applications for the Issue of Titles Recommended in Reports, 1 – 607, 4/5/1836 to 22/10/1858. This series includes information on transactions even earlier than 1836.
- Valuation Branch (TA392) See particularly the Government Valuations 1951-1984 (Archives record series AE298) These are organised geographically by municipality, then by division and street within each municipality.
- Land Tax Branch (TA1676) Series of valuation rolls for various Tasmanian towns for 1946-1957. (series numbers begin with TRE76/)
- Telephone Directories – The first exchange was in Hobart in 1883 and in 1884 when 58 numbers were in use. These were mainly business numbers. By the 1890s over 300 numbers are being used in Hobart and New Norfolk. There was a statewide telephone directory until 1970, when it became divided into northern and southern. Search our library catalogue for ‘Tas telephone directories’ to see all Tasmanian telephone directories. Search for ‘telephone subscribers’ to find earlier lists.
- Printed resources held at Launceston Library such as news cuttings and biography files.
Was this helpful?