Volunteers support the Adult Literacy Service as tutors for people wanting to improve their reading, writing and maths skills. It can be really satisfying helping a learner make progress and achieve real change in their life.
While no prior teaching experience is necessary, this is a skilled volunteer role. We ask volunteers to undertake FREE training to prepare for tutoring work with learners.
We are looking for volunteer Adult Literacy Tutors who:
- are willing to develop adult literacy tutoring skills
- have good communication, organisational and listening skills
- are respectful of learner needs and boundaries
- are enthusiastic learners, able to model active learning.
Digital skills will be needed to undertake the training and to support learners to meet their learning goals. If you would like to improve your digital skills, ask your library about training opportunities.
Your local Literacy Coordinator will provide ongoing mentoring and resources to help you work with a learner. You will:
- work one-to-one with a learner
- develop activities to help learners meet their learning goals
- meet regularly with a learner, usually for 1-1 ½ hours a week
- encourage independent learning.
Are you interested?
If you are interested, please complete this Volunteer Expression of Interest form and your local library Volunteer Coordinator will contact you.