Do you love the feeling of walking into an art gallery, and being surrounded by colours and textures you’ve never seen up close before? Take the chance this spring to explore the exciting exhibitions and events happening at the library.
Our latest exhibition, Skying: Cloudscapes in Tasmanian Art opens at the Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts on 11 November 2022. Tasmanian artist Tracey Cockburn explores the unique and ephemeral qualities of light and clouds in Tasmanian painting, through contemporary print techniques.
Please note that the Allport will be closed for exhibition preparation on 31 October and 1 November, and again on 7 and 8 November.
Join in as we open our doors for Open House Hobart at the State Library and Archives building. Bookings are essential.
Discover the techniques behind researching the history of buildings at If walls could talk: researching the stories and histories of Tasmanian buildings, now on display at the State Library and Archives building.
Big Library Read for November
The next Big Library Read runs from 2 to 16 November. Library members can read the same book at the same time without any holds or waitlists using the Libby app. The featured title is A Snake Falls to Earth by Darcie Little Badger. This award-winning title draws on traditional Lipan Apache storytelling structure to weave an unforgettable tale of monsters, magic and family. Awards include Newbery Award Honor, American Indian Youth Literature Award Honor and National Book Award Longlist.
Good to Know Expo at Hobart Library – making the most of what we have
Are you feeling the pinch with the rising cost of living? Want to know tips, tricks and services in the community that can help you make the most of what you have? Join us for the Good to Know Expo at Hobart Library on 24 November from 11 am to 2 pm. Find information about renting and housing, sustainability, healthy eating, positive ageing, community services, getting the most from MyGov, the Aurora Plus app, Service Tas and more. It’s easy, just drop in!
Visit the latest community art exhibition at Rosny Library
From Between the Pages is a community art exhibition showing from Monday 7 to Wednesday 30 November. Artists were invited to submit works inspired by books, stories, storytelling, and poetry.
Register for these events and workshops at your local library on Eventbrite:
- Thursday book club at Devonport Library
- English conversation class at Burnie Library
- first Tuesday book chat at Glenorchy Library
- learn a language – tech-talk and tea at Ulverstone Library
- design like a pro – Canva – tech-talk and tea at Devonport Library
- digital Q&A at Rosny Library
- navigating MyGov at George Town Library
- author talk with Nic Gill at Launceston Library
- Your Future Kingborough at Kingston Library
- chess club Thursdays at Kingston Library.
And for the kids…
- kids book club at Burnie Library
- lego club at Sorell Library
- introduction to YouTube for kids at Glenorchy Library, plus many more!