What else is there?
Hobart Gaol records
- 1836-1888 Register of admissions and releases (gaol only) (GD31) Chronological. Lists people in the gaol section not under prison sentence.
- 1836-1938 Alphabetical register of prisoners admitted (GD35) Chronological but divided into alphabetical sections. The information varies with only the date of admission being common to all volumes. Entries also often record education, trade, ship, offence and release details
- 1859-1894 Register admitting males committed for trial (with gaps) (GD37) Records name, civil condition, ship, age, date admitted and committed, charge, date of trial and disposal.
- 1860-1952 Index to prisoners descriptions (GD68) Lists prisoner’s name and a reference to the volume letter and page number in GD67. Usually records the date of the sentence
- 1932-1962 Prisoner record books (GD63) GD63/8 (Book No. 10) onward. See description above
- 1862-1959 Minutes of hearings by Justices of the Peace of charges against prisoners for offences committed in the prison (GD108) Includes the prisoner’s name, charge, plea, evidence, verdict and punishment. Each record bears the Justice’s signature.
- 1835-1946 Records of prisoners released on probation (GD55) Records the release of suitable prisoners who report to the police every three months. Provides name, date, place of trial, sentence, dates when licence granted and expired.
- 1858-1909 Registers of prisoners received into and released from prison 1858-1909 (SC243)
- 1880-1947 Nominal roll of occupants of the Prison (GD56) Records the name of each prisoner. There is a daily column recording rations. Records the names of prison officers until 1907. Females first appear in 1888.
- 1891-1960 Prisoners individual files (GD61)
- Alphabetical. Contains prisoner’s description, correspondence about individuals including offences and sentences, and documentation about remissions. There are three separate runs of these files -check each run to find the prisoner’s file.
- 1888-1891 Physical descriptions of prisoners received (GD67) See entry above.
- 1870-1976 Registers of prisoners tried and disposed of at the Supreme Court (GD70) Chronological by date of court sitting. Gives name of prisoner, date of receipt in the prison, offence, plea, who tried the case, verdict, and sentence. Sometimes also records the prisoner’s age
- 1872-1969 Daybook of admissions and releases (GD36) Chronological. Daily record of admissions and releases of people in the prison. Lists name, offence, sentence, age, religion, number of convictions, education, ship of arrival and reason for release. Alternate pages give admissions and releases.
- 1908-1954 Register of admission and release of prisoners (with gaps) (GD34) Chronological. Records the number of convictions for each prisoner. Other details include offence, sentence and education. Birthplace appears in the early 1930s but education disappears in the late 1930s.
- 1910-1962 Prisoners record cards (GD64) Alphabetical but incomplete. Offences and sentences recorded against individual prisoners. Notes native place, address, birth date, education, marital status, occupation, number in family and record book number (GD63). Also records prison offences.
- 1919-1935 Return from the Superintendents of Hobart and Launceston Prisons of people committed and received under sentence (SC238)
- 1933-1993 Tasmania Police Gazettes (POL709). Includes reports of crimes and offences, arrests, notices about absconders, missing people, deserters, release of prisoners, inquest findings and stolen property. The content of the Gazettes changes with time – for example, notices about the release of prisoners finished in 1910. Photographs of prisoners and their details appear in the Gazettes from 1937 to 1949
- 1940-1972 Deceased prisoners individual files (GD62) Alphabetical. The same as GD61 files with “Deceased” marked on the covers. Contains prisoner’s description, correspondence about individuals including offences and sentences, and documentation about remissions. Includes notes and newspaper cuttings about the death of the prisoner. They are not necessarily files of people who died in prison.
Launceston Gaol Records
- 1867-1910 Register of prisoners received into and released from prison (SC244) Chronological but divided into alphabetical sections.
- 1871-1880 Return of prisoners in Launceston Gaol awaiting trial with the results of the trial in various courts (GD130)
- See also Returns from the superintendents of Hobart and Launceston Prisons (SC238) above.
Swansea Gaol Records
- 1885-1910 Register of prisoners received into and released form country prisons (SC246)
- 1910-1937 Register of prisoners received into and released from prisons other than at Hobart (GD42) Volume 1 is in two sections – ‘Launceston’ and ‘Country Prisons’. Country prisons not identified individually. The second volume has separate sections for each prison.
Was this helpful?