We connect Tasmanians to learning and information, their history and their communities.
We also connect people from around the world to Tasmanian resources.
Our Volunteer Program offers a volunteer-friendly environment where volunteers work alongside, and are supported by paid staff to value-add to our collections, services and programs.
We provide a home library service for community members who are unable to attend the library to select their own items.
Home Library Service Couriers support this service by visiting clients in their homes to deliver and return bags of library items.
Volunteers work as part of a team of staff and volunteers, and participate in activities under the direction and guidance of the local Volunteer Coordinator, or other nominated staff members.
Skills, experience and attributes
We look for volunteer couriers who:
- are professional in their interactions with library staff and clients
- are willing to devote a set amount of time and work to a schedule
- have good communication and listening skills
- are patient, sensitive, flexible and enthusiastic, and enjoy social interaction
- support the our strategic goals and values
- comply with the Tasmanian State Service Code of Conduct (State Service Act 2000) and our Service Commitment
- act in our best interests
In addition, you will need:
- a current Registration for Working with Vulnerable People
- a completed Volunteer Commitment Agreement
Our volunteer couriers make a significant difference to members of the community. Helping clients stay connected and allow those not able to access our sites to still enjoy our collections. Many volunteers gain satisfaction by making a positive difference in their local community. They learn new skills and gain experience working with a large team. Our Volunteer Program offers a friendly environment, where volunteers work alongside, and are supported by paid staff to add value to our collections, services and programs.
Are you interested in becoming a Volunteer courier?
More details can be found on our Volunteer with us page.